Friday, December 16, 2011

Waiver of Bankruptcy Discharge is Unenforceable

       Recently I was talking to one of our client's creditors on the phone about our client's case. Our client had filed bankruptcy in Nashville. The creditor was trying to explain to me that their debt was not to be included in the bankruptcy because they have their borrower's check a box on the loan application that states that the borrower waives their right to include the debt in bankruptcy and that the debt would be non-dischargeable. I quickly reassured this creditor that such contract provisions are prohibited by the Bankruptcy Code and 6th Circuit case law.

       There are only two avenues which allow a debtor to waive a debt's discharge in bankruptcy. The first is through a reaffirmation agreement through §524. A reaffirmation agreement is a post-petition contract entered into by the debtor and creditor wherein a debtor will reaffirm the debt and waives its discharge in the bankruptcy. The reaffirmation agreement, however, is only valid after being approved by the bankruptcy court judge and meeting other strict conditions.

       The second way a debt passes through discharge is through §727(a)(10), which states that the court shall grant a discharge of the debtor's debts unless “the court approves a written waiver of discharge executed by the debtor after the order for relief under this chapter.” This waiver of discharge is unilateral and does not need to be agreed upon by the creditor, however, it still requires court approval.

        These two methods of waiving discharge have two things in common: (1) both require court approval and, (2) both must be entered into post-petition.

        The 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in 2005 interpreted these two provisions to conclude that any prepetition agreements which waive the discharge of a debt contradict the Bankruptcy code and are void because they offend the public policy of promoting a fresh start for individual debtors. Lichtenstein v. Barbanel, 161 Fed. Appx. 461 (6th Cir. 2005). Therefore, in order for any waiver of discharge to be valid it must be through either §524 or §727 and cannot be merely waived by the checking of a box on a loan agreement.  

       Please remember that a debtor who enters into a loan agreement with no intention of paying the money back, but to file bankruptcy instead, can be prosecuted for fraud.

       It must also be noted that a prepetition stipulation can waive the discharge of certain debts, but that is a totally different animal than contractual waiver agreements. For an in depth discussion of this topic please see Line Drawing and the Bankruptcy Discharge: Why Prepetition Stipulations Are Enforceable but Prepetition Waivers Are Not by Kristin Ballobin.


24 comments:

  1. Fantastic weblog u have! I’ll just wanna thank you 4 that. If u like 2 see our blog visit it now! Thanks for visiting!
    Bankruptcy Discharge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally I have found something which helped me.Appreciate it!
    bankruptcy discharge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woh I like your blog posts, saved to fav! . Elia & Ponto

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, if you want to get higher rankings, you should check out the plugin I left in my link, it will help. GPW Law

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. NIW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am grateful to you on the grounds that your article is exceptionally useful for me to continue with my exploration in same region. Your cited illustrations are all that much significant to my exploration field.This is extraordinary! It really exhibits to me where to broaden my online diary Judgment Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  7. our enthusiasm leads you beyond the limits. When you feel yourself enthusiastic that’s the time you can cross any limit. You seek to get perfection by using the ability of work. Read such motivational article and definitely it will help you to know new facts. Collection Defense Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really a very fine way to express and looking a very pleasant article with full of healthy information. I am definitely going to tell in my class about this platform and the information shared here. Very well written. Fair Debt Collections Practices Act Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to found this blog. I have some facts related to this blog and I would like to share with all its readers. Definitely it is going to help everyone and aware people with some more knowledgeable points. Collection Defense Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now. Fair Debt Collections Practices Act Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also https://www.california-labor-law-attorney.com/https://www.california-labor-law-attorney.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually I read it yesterday but I had some thoughts about it and today I wanted to read it again because it is very well written. Application for Unlawful Termination

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vancouver civil litigation lawyers help everyone on their legal matters, they are very expert efficient in their works and they know how to handle the legal issues and matters. And they serve you their services at a very cheap price, so you can high quality services at a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anwalt Arbeitsrecht Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Best law firms in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  16. Business and commercial law When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alabama bankruptcy attorney Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really a very fine way to express and looking a very pleasant article with full of healthy information. I am definitely going to tell in my class about this platform and the information shared here. Very well written."adwokat Wrocław"

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Estate Planning Lawyer NYC

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Accident attorney Dyer Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  21. Auto accident lawyers Indiana I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Vanderbilt medical malpractice lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  23. консультация юриста онлайн I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. personal injury lawyer

    ReplyDelete